i made this salad by chance tonight (thankfully, because it ended up being so good)-having no idea what to make for dinner, i started at the freezer this morning where i found four organic chicken breasts. the chicken was defrosted as i began building my salad starting from the top refrigerator drawer where i found several bell peppers (including a slightly shriveled up yellow one). working my way down i found lettuce, organic green onions, ripe avocados, and a few yellow potatoes. since the chicken takes a while to cook, i started on the marinade right away:
for the marinade:
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-2 tbs dijon mustard
- 1-2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- freshly squeezed juice of one lemon
- sea salt & cracked pepper to taste
dijon roasted chicken: mix marinade ingredients together in a bowl, clean and score (superficial criss cross cuts on top layer) the chicken breasts and add to the marinade. allow chicken to marinate for at least 15-20 minutes if possible, then place in a shallow baking dish, cover with any remaining sauce from the bowl, and roast in the oven (uncovered) at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes (make sure they are fully cooked).
*this chicken may also be served with potatoes (or rice) and vegetables as a main dish-it is tangy, juicy, and tasty*
- roast the potatoes (very thinly sliced to cook quickly and crisply) and thinly sliced bell peppers with a touch of extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, and pepper on a sheet pan in a 375 degree oven (see below).
- when the potatoes and peppers are roasted & ready (about 20-25 minutes), remove from the oven and allow them to cool off.
- the roasted chicken breasts can be served whole (and warm) on the side of the salad or can be sliced and slightly cooled off to go on top.
- build the salad starting with your lettuce of choice at the bottom, roasted bell peppers and potatoes, avocado chunks, and chicken- for the dressing make a quick vinaigrette:
to make the lemon vinaigrette:
- 1 tsp finely minced shallots-or 1 thinly sliced green onion (scallion)
- 3-4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 lemon, juiced (or 1 small)- *or juice of 1 lime*
- 1-2 tsp dijon mustard
- whisk together until thickened
|crispy delicious roasted potatoes|
|you can leave the breast whole on the side|
|or slice (cover with pan juices) for topping the salad|