you will need (for 4-6 servings):
- 6-8 pieces organic chicken-bone in (cut breasts in halves)
- 1 medium onion, cubed or sliced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed and sliced
- 8-10 baby yellow potatoes, washed, skin on, quartered
- 3-4 organic carrots, sliced down the middle, cut in 2 or three pieces each
- 1-2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp good quality chili powder (home made recipe)
- 1 tbs fresh lemon or lime juice, plus 1/2 tsp zest
- 8-10 (or 3 small roma tomatoes) baby tomatoes sliced in half
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1-2 tsp fresh (or dry) thyme or oregano
1. heat the oven to 375 degrees (on roast setting if you have it available)~add the chopped onions and garlic to the bottom of the dutch oven or baking dish. in a bowl sprinkle the chicken (top and bottom) with sea salt, pepper, 1/2 of the chili powder, lemon/lime zest, and herbs.
2. add 1/2 of the olive oil and all of the lemon or lime juice~make sure all the chicken pieces are fully coated with the mixture, then start laying them over the onions with the skin side up.
3. coat the cut potatoes and carrots with remaining olive oil, sea salt, and pepper, then scatter them among the chicken pieces pushing them down into the spaces in between. scatter the tomatoes and remaining herbs over the top.
4. cover the dish (or dutch oven) and place in the hot oven. allow the chicken to cook covered (you can use aluminum foil) for about 45 minutes, then remove the cover and bake for another 20-30 minutes until the tops of the chicken look golden brown and crispy~ you are ready to serve.
5. a spicy green salad with citrus sections (ruby red grapefruit) and lemon vinaigrette dressing makes a good side dish and rounds out this meal perfectly.