|tomatoes, basil chiffonade, and home made lemony pesto|
- 1 large bunch fresh basil
- 1 package fusilli pasta (about 1 pound)
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes (finely cubed) or about 20 baby tomatoes, sliced in half (here i added a few baby heirlooms)
- 1 small onion, cubed
- 2-3 organic zucchini, cubed-about 1-1.5 cups
- 3 tbs lemony pesto sauce
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (if you like spicy)
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
1. cook the pasta per package instructions, drain, and set aside. in a skillet heat about 1 tbs olive oil, add cubed onions and zucchini with a touch of salt & pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using)-sautee on high heat for about 5-7 minutes until tender, and allow the vegetables to cool off completely.
2. in a bowl combine the tomatoes, 1/2 of the fresh basil (thinly sliced in a chiffonade), the pesto sauce, 1 tbs olive oil, and the lemon juice.
3. add the cooled vegetables and the pasta to the bowl, combine everything together, then taste and adjust the seasonings (salt, pepper, lemon juice). sprinkle the remaining basil over the top and mix the salad again only just before serving. if the salad seems dry, add a little more pesto sauce and olive oil.
|my avocado-tomato-lime salad|