for the pesto:
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup walnuts & 1/4 cup pine nuts (i usually prefer to use 1/2 cup walnuts only)
- 6 cups fresh (packed) basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups good extra virgin olive oil
- zest and juice of 1/2 a small lemon *optional, but recommended
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 butternut squash-cubed (see below)-roast the whole squash, but use only 1/4-1/2 of the roasted cubes for the pasta-save the rest for a salad or soup, or eat with cooked quinoa or brown rice.
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 shallot, finely chopped
process as follows: cut the ends off the squash, then cut it in half (carefully), peel each half, slice, then cube. place the cubed squash and shallots in a bowl and add the olive oil & spices, combine.
spread the mixture on a sheet pan and bake in the oven at 375 degrees for about 25-30 minutes.
while the squash is cooking, boil about 4-5 cups salted water for the orecchiette, then cook per package instructions. prior to draining, put a few teaspoons (4-5) of the pesto in the bowl and add about 2-3 tablespoons of hot water from the (almost cooked) pasta to the pesto, stir together. drain the pasta when cooked, and add to the bowl with pesto, some roasted squash, and quickly toss…add more fresh basil and freshly grated parmesan cheese and top with a few roasted cubes of butternut squash…enjoy!